Saturday, September 09, 2006

multidirectional scarf


I started a scarf for my partner, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The photo's a little dark -- I could use a little camera & photoshopping practice. It's not just the photo quality, though. The yarn doesn't showcase the pattern all that well.

Yarn: Adrienne Vittadini, Nadia, 50% alpaca / 50% wool
Needles: Size 9 Clover bamboo straights
Pattern: Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf by Karen Baumer(free pattern)

I swatched for this scarf in Noro Silk Garden, too. It looks lovely, but it feels awfully scratchy. Any opinions? Does Silk Garden soften up after washing enough to be wearable? If it does, I'll go with that, and come up with another use for the Nadia yarn.

6 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

When I was at the yarn store a couple days ago they had the multi-directional scarf made up in Silk Garden, and it had been washed. Not only was it gorgeous, it was very soft...so much more than I would have thought after feeling the yarn in the skeins.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

If only one colorway is used, MD patterns tend to look more striking worked in variegated yarns than in solids or semi-solids.

Silk Garden becomes much softer after washing, so don't worry!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

You can't go wrong with a MD scarf! The originator of that design is Iris Schrier. She has a yahoogroup just for people who are doing multidirectional work. The pictures are fabulous, and gives you a chance to see MD scarves in a multitude of colors and color combinations. Also, Iris designed yarn especially for "Short Row" multidirectional work, and you can see the whole incredible range of colors at her website: artyarns.com . The nicest yarn I've ever used for a MD scarf is the Artyarns Ultramerino. It's like Aurora yarn for feel and touch, but the colors--especially the variegateds--are out of this world wonderful. Have a blast!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

I've just started the MD scarf, but not for the ISE. I'm loving it. I am knitting it with a variagted purple yarn alternating with a solid purple.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll go with the Silk Garden and trust that washing will help with softness and texture.

MD experts -- do you usually go up a couple needle sizes from what's suggested on the yarn label? I only went up 1, and it resulted in a pretty solid fabric.

Time to start the frogging... ribbit ribbit ribbit :-)

5:10 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

the Silk Garden does soften up alot. I've not made this pattern but I've made a scarf and a receiving blanket from the Silk Garden and it has such great stitch definition and is very soft and luscious after washing.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home