Thursday, August 10, 2006

Open for registration!!

Hello all! A few of you have emailed us and asked when the International Scarf Exchange was going to happen again... and so here we go for round 3.

We wish we could run this exchange several times a year, but it takes up a bit of time (slightly understated) and a lot of energy! Celia and I have been busy... she got married and pregnant!! (go congratulate her on her blog) and I finished up my master's program and am moving from Denver to Boston so that I can start a PhD program this fall.

Here are the rules and regulations for the exchange.

Celia and I have learned a few things from our first two rounds of the international scarf exchange. We've come up with a few R&R for your perusal. If you have questions, please email us.


1. Minimum to spend: $20 USD for the scarf only. Anything above those minimums is at your discretion. If you decide to use handspun, please spend $10 USD on the materials.

**if you cannot commit to spending this minimum, please drop out now by emailing either Celia or Cynthia HERE

2. This swap is international, so postage has not been included in the minimum cost. If you are sending internationally, we will try our best to make sure you receive from an international participant, in order to keep the price of postage fair.

3. Materials - The questionnaire/interview is a guideline. Please respect allergies and dislikes. However, just b/c your pal likes cashmere doesn't mean you need to buy it... unless you REALLY want to. If you have any concerns that your pal might be allergic to your choice of yarn, please check with them before you start knitting.

4. Use this opportunity to try a new pattern or stitch!! Now is the time to try new styles, and patterns. You don't have to go out and buy a new scarf book just for this exchange. There is a wide range of free patterns on the web, so why not try one of them? It is assumed that all scarves are knitted. If you would like to make a woven, crochet or felted scarf, please check with your pal before proceeding.

5. Pals will be allocated around the 7th of September. You will be notified of any delays.

6. We're aiming for the scarves to be RECEIVED by November 1, 2006. Please keep that in mind if you are assigned an international pal. Please let us or your pal know if you are delayed for any reason.

7. Folks who sign up and don't keep their end of the bargain will be banned from future exchanges. (Yes, we do keep a list).

8. You will need an anonymouse email acct so that you can email your pal (the one you're knitting FOR). Please set up an anonymous email acct with either gmail, yahoo, or hotmail. Contact us if you'd like a gmail account. You will need to email your pal in the first 3 weeks of the exchange to assure them that you are out there and that you are thinking of them.

EDIT: you need to email the person you're sending a scarf to, so that they know you're alive and thinking of them. You also need to send an email to the person who sent a scarf to you, to thank them and acknowledge that it was received.


9. Post about your progress at least once a month to this blog. Anything like choosing yarn, a pattern, etc can be an update! (in other words, we'll need you to post a minimum of two times. Once in September, once in October)

10. Enjoy it!

ps. Sorry if some of the rules sound... obvious. But after two exchanges, we've learned that we need to be pretty clear about expectations!!

17 Comments:

Blogger EvaLux said...

Am I really the first to sign up? Or am I supposed to e-mail somewhere??

Cheers Eva sweetpea@sweet-p.net
new blog: http://sweetpea16.wordpress.com

4:52 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Sign me up too, it was such fun last time! Julie stingdragon AT gmail DOT com

Is there a new questionnaire or just use the old one?

5:01 PM  
Blogger Leisel said...

I want to play, too!

Leisel
- http://sagebrush.typepad.com/knotagain

8:39 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Sign me up too. I have never done this with a scarf, but I did do a sock exchange. It was Great!!!

3:25 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Sign me up too. I have never done this with a scarf, but I did do a sock exchange. It was Great!!!

3:26 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Sign me up too.

3:27 AM  
Blogger celia said...

Diane, you need to click on the email link and send us your questionaire. Otehrwise we don't know how to contact you. Thanks!
celia

4:20 AM  
Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

I've just joined and realised that the deadline for receivng scaves is my birthday! At least i'm gaurenteed one pressie this year. :)

2:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sign me up, please!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Oxford Voter said...

Fantastic idea - looking forward to getting (and making!) an international scarf. Any other UK men signed up?

9:01 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

I'd love to sign up too.
Wanda
awanda@gmail.com
http://wandawomanknits.blogspot.com

5:54 AM  
Blogger Vik said...

Sign me up! This sounds like a lot of fun!
vikmouse@gmail.com
viksknits.blogspot.com

7:08 PM  
Blogger Vikki said...

I am excited to do this, can you sign me up.

Thanks

dolfan54_13@yahoo.com

7:42 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

This is my first exchange and I'm confidant that I will sufficiently obsesses over my recipient's scarf only those gorgeous packaging pics on the textile blogs have really turned up the heat. Did you see those pics over at yarnstorm??

7:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi there everyone. I have sent in my questionnaire but haven't received an invite. where do I find the invite??

Can anyone tell me how to put pictures on my thistleridge.blogspot page?

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sign me up. I'm a virgin with the International Scarf Exchange. But I promise I will be very good!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

I have NO idea how to post on the blog site so I have just been adding comments to peole there. HOW do I make a post myself. I would like to post a photo of my finished scarf later this week.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home