Tuesday, September 26, 2006

a fresh start, yet again?

I'm loving the Noro Silk Garden multidirectional scarf that I'm knitting for my pal. The pattern works so much better with this yarn than with the blue variegated wool/alpaca that I tried before. So all's well in scarfville, right?

Wrong! I just went over my pal's questionnaire again, and I discovered that she doesn't like mohair or scratchy scarves. Silk Garden has some mohair content (also silk and lambswool), and people have reassured me that it softens up and blooms after a good bath, but I'm feeling anxious.

Sigh... maybe I'll cast on a THIRD scarf.

6 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Jodi, Silk Garden DOES soften up, and really isn't that itchy. It's surely not like Brown Sheep or pure mohair. I think it's a very comfortable yarn to wear. Don't cast on for another scarf until you wash and block it, then see how it feels.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Jae said...

I used Silk Garden for the last round and was amazed at how much it softened up after being washed. I say knit a small test square and give it a bath. Then you'll be able to really know if starting over is what you want to do.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I'm one of those people that doesn't like mohair but I LOVE Silk Garden. It really does wash up beautifully.

4:33 PM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

I have also heard that Silk Garden softens up in the wash as well. I hope that you don't have to start again :(

8:00 PM  
Blogger NattyChick said...

JUST in case I am your partner (as I am one of those that doesn't like mohair) I have to say that I don't like mohair alone (like the very fine rowan yarns etc) as they make my nose itch terribly. mohair blended isn't usually a problem unless the mohair content is the highest. Does that make sense? I actually knit with (and like) silk garden. And hey - if I'm not your partner, this might give you some reassurance that your scarf will probably be just fine.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Well, I'm also one that doesn't like mohair or scratchy scarves. The mohair I've used in the past was itchy in the ball (or cone, whatever!). But like all fibers, there is a difference in the scratch factor. Does this yarn feel scratchy to YOU? Test in a delicate area and give that a go. As a last resort to starting over, how about sending a swatch to your partner? In my mind, that sure beats starting over! :)

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home