Monday, January 02, 2006

Branching Out Journey

After knitting a foot each 19 different lace patterns, trying out at least a dozen different yarns, I've finally begun the actual pattern with the chosen yarn. Branching Out is the pattern, and I'm making two scarves at the same time to see which one I think my scarf pal will like best: one with Baby Brush Alpaca that I dyed in a deep russet color, and one with a bright red Douceur et Soie. Okay, to be totally honest, also on another set of needles and next to my bed is a third one, made from a sportweight merino, silk and cashmere. Doing three at a time helps keep my interest--there's always a different yarn to work with. Color me ADD and on Ritalin.

I try to do a couple of pattern repeats before I leave any given room where whichever scarf OTN resides. I'm in heaven, and it was worth all time spend on experimentation, learning how to read charts, finding ways to make them work for me with lifelines and color coding. Endless hours of frogging before I got to the point where I could read the stitches even if I got lost and made a mistake in the pattern.

It truly is about the journey--I have learned so much from this experience, and pushed myself into new challenges I was certain I was just not ready for. I am grateful that my secret pal wanted lace, something I'd never done, and that this was my motivation for learning something I was just too chicken to try beforehand.

It's sure been a grueling 6 weeks, though---and many times I just stopped in tears and started to believe I'd never be able to finish a pattern without making mega-mistakes. Now, with about 12 repeats on each set of needles, I feel much more confident and not so tense about making a mistake when my husband or dogs interrupt me and I lose my place!

I was really so happy with my chosen scarf pal, as our tastes are so similar, and making this scarf for her means I can use yarns and colors and patterns I would also make for myself. It's a double-delight, and I'll also have a scarf for myself and one for my sister--who didn't get hers for Christmas because I was still struggling with fixing mistakes and losing my place. Now that I have a good system going, I'm actually enjoying each row and no longer in stress mode.

I'm trying not to judge my chosen scarf pattern against those I see here that listmembers are doing--ones that are so intricate, so complex and take enormous concentration. They inspire me, make me want to continue learning and trying new things, but I can accept that the really complex lace patterns are still a bit above my ability right now. But next year? Who knows! The elegant simple pattern I ultimately chose will set me on the road to success without frustrating me to the point of quitting. No way am I ready for the scarf pattern Celia chose--the to die for "Ene" scarf, which I drool over daily, but know I'm not ready to commit to trying yet.

What an amazing journey this has been, and how delighted I am to be part of this group, and to to anticipate my scarf pal's joy at receiving this scarf, even if it isn't an "Ene!" Hey, for me, "Branching Out" has been a great challenge, and I know I'll be proud of my effort.

I'm working diligently, carefully, and enjoying every single stitch.

Big Smiles from Debi in Las Vegas

5 Comments:

Blogger Dorene said...

As a newbie to lace myself... I just love this pattern. I just completed it and I am so pleased how it came out. You are quite enthusiastic to do 3 at the same time. I am SURE that your pal will love it!

1:18 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

celia managed to talk me into knitting the beautiful ene scarf as well, and I have to say it's much less daunting than it seems! I bet if you tried it, you would be surprised (and pleased) with yourself.

But branching out is a beautiful lace pattern all its own! can't wait to see pics.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Donyale said...

I love Branching Out - it's a lovely pattern for the beginner lace queen - you go girl!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Dorene said...

Debi..

Oh girl... you have me blushing! I just loved this pattern. I found it quite easier to follow, being that there were only 5 rows to each repeat. I think it has given me the confidence to try even more challenging patterns.

I "just" finished the Branching Out scarf in time to present it to my daughter for Christmas. Actually, I completed it Christmas Eve and pinned it to the rug under the tree as it was blocking. She was leaving the following morning and I thank goodness that it was dry in time for her to take home with her. Alas... I didn't have time to take any pictures.

I used K1C2 Creme Bruele (a DK weight superwash merino) in this camel tan color. But... I did have some yarn left over and decided to make another, which I completed this very afternoon.

This MIGHT be a present for my secret pal... Hmmm.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Dorene said...

Debi...

Still blushing here...

The reaction from my daughter? "oh... it's nice". NOT what I was looking for. I was hoping for cartwheels, but, alas no.

Fast? I work 12+ hrs a day, on the days that I do work. So, when I am off... I knit and knit and knit and then I knit some more. I find it my meditation and very soothing. It took me about 20 hours of knitting to complete the scarf. I am just lucky enough to have the luxury of time, to sit down uninterupted and knit away!

I can't wait to see pictures of yours!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home