Wednesday, November 23, 2005

looking for input from Aussies

I am torn between two yarns for my scarf pal, and I'd like to keep it a secret until she gets it, so I'm looking for input from anyone in Australia or someone who's been there and gets their weather.

She wants something lightweight, in blues. I have some absolutely gorgeous silk/mohair blend in a sapphire blue that I would love to knit into a lace scarf, and it is really soft - not like the scratchy mohairs ala Classic Elite Le Gran, but she lists in her list of likes and dislikes, that she dislikes mohair; and I have some Koigu that would probably work up really pretty in a lightweight open rib or twisted rib pattern.


The answer is probably to go with the Koigu, but for some reason I'm feeling compelled to make lace with that sapphire blue silk/mohair.

Would lacey mohair be too warm for the weather in Australia? Should I just make up the Koigu and save the lace for another time?

Undecided.
Meanwhile, I've just finished up my second cabled scarf for Christmas giving. Two or three more gifts to go before casting on for this project. It's a challenging wait let me tell you. I want to just cast on and make this. Funny how the inspiration bug bites isnt' it?

2 Comments:

Blogger celia said...

It depends on which part of Australia your pal lives in. In Melbourne and Adelaide, iit gets colder a lot more than it does in Sydney. However, just outside Sydney, at the Blue Mountains, it gets colder too. If she specifically dislikes mohair, I vote against using it unless you use it in the non-neck parts only.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Donyale said...

Good question cause sometimes Mohair can be absoloutely wonderful to knit with - I think go with Koigu - it's not available over here and so lush!

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home