Monday, January 16, 2006

Hm (Grrr!)

I'm a little disappointed with the scarf I just finished (finished except for the binding off, that is). I posted a day or two ago here about starting it. I used Handmaiden yarn (by Fleece Artist), Lady Godiva which is 50% each wool and silk. Gorgeous stuff!! And while the colours aren't me, the scarf isn't for me. Anyway, so why am I disappointed? Because it's barely four feet without blocking (I only had one skein of yarn) and I don't want to block vigorously because I want to preserve some of the cushiness. And also because of the way the colours ended up. In the picture I posted a day or so ago, you can see it being mainly the lighter shades but about halfway through the skein it starts changing and by the end it's mostly the darker blue - so the one end is almost as dark as the other end is light. I've never been a fan of variegated yarn and have only found a few colourways that I've truly liked.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Bind it off and block it to death (I don't want to gain any width though, only length)? Rip it out and make it one repeat narrower and then block it to death for length? Rip it out and find something else?? I'd have to buy/order some yarn since I don't have anything appropriate in my stash. Grrrr!! The one thing that makes me think I could start over fresh is that I cast on for this one on Friday around noon and would have been done today at noon if I hadn't dragged out the last few inches.

What would you do? I'm thinking the variegation issues will bother me regardless of the width/length.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chrissie said...

Hi,

I knitted this pattern in superfine merino lace yarn for my exchange scarf, but I deliberately chose a solid dark color because I have had similar problems with variegated yarn and lace. I knitted more than 100 repeats and the gently blocked scarf 10" x 6'.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

Its a pretty pattern and obviously a colorway that your recipient would like, so I'd say stay with the yarn.
If you aren't adverse to ripping it out and starting again to knit it narrower and longer, then consider breaking the yarn into 4 equal balls, and alternating the dark ones with the light ones. It'll give it a stripey look, but that may be preferable to the gradation you've got going now. That, or break it in two balls, and knit from both, alternating rows 1&2 with rows 3&4 from other ball, being sure to twist the yarn as you carry it up the side. Bigger pain but that would be sure to distribute the colors more evenly.
How wide is each repeat? would eliminating just one repeat make it significantly longer?

alternate thought: is more yarn available? with another ball you could wind off 1/2, then start with the inside working toward the light end again, and then the color gradation would be perfectly balanced

10:17 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

another thought is to leave it as is. That pattern lists dimensions as only 41" long

10:20 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Ugh! LOL I don't know if I have the patience to fiddle with several balls of yarn, Marji. It's probably the solution that makes the most sense though. A repeat is probably an inch and a half (roughly) so it should give me a fair bit extra in length but I'm afraid it'll be too skinny for my liking if I got that route.

The scarf should be longer because my pal specified that she preferred a longish scarf. And I don't know if buying another skein would work (provided I could even get one) since it's a handpainted yarn. I'm afraid to put out the money and have it not be compatible.

I think I'm just afraid period. LOL I was so pleased that I finished it so quick. I guess I have some decisions to make...

1:14 PM  
Blogger maxine said...

And what is wrong with a 4 foot scarf? Without my 4 foot scarves I would be hard pressed to wear pins as much. Just a thought

1:18 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Because my pal said she'd like one longer than that. ;) I love long scarves too. Even if length wasn't an issue, the way the colours have turned out would be for me. I'm picky. LOL

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home