Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Mmm...wet dog smell

Well tonight I decided to dye my yarn. I had all the supplies already, though now I have to buy a new stew pot, since I don't think you're supposed to reuse it after acid dye have been in it. I used Deka Batik & Textile Dye. I found it at a local art supply store. I followed various online tutorials (here, here, and here), but there are lots of other tutorials online. The package also had specific directions. This was 225g of wool. I used about 4 litres of water and the whole package of dye.

Here are a few pictures:





I imagine it will take a few days to dry. I put a plastic bag under the towel to protect my hardwood floor. Unfortunately I live in a bachelor apartment so I get to smell wet wool while I sleep.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

It looks beautiful! Sometimes a fan blowing gently can help yarn to dry faster... I dye my own yarn and wool a lot, and I've started to associate the smell of wet wool with a satisfying project., and newly colored fiber - I love the smell now!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't mind the smell actually. It's not as strong as I thought it would be. I would have a fan on, but it's getting chilly at night. I have the windy open now but I'm shivering! :P

1:41 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Oh wow, Melissa - this yarn is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you knit from it.

3:09 AM  
Blogger stephanie said...

Lovely! Your pal is very lucky!

3:34 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

wow abbitious. what a lucky pal!

3:56 AM  
Blogger Craftybernie said...

Love the colour. Nice job! I hate that 'wet dog' smell. Eugh.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Your yarn is just smashing--love love love the colors!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home