Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Back and forth


Can you tell I'm having fun?

This is one of those patterns, like Clapotis, that is pure genius in its simplicity (I've already figured out how to tell exactly what to do next just by looking at the work, so I can put it down and pick it up at will, and until I get to the final decrease section, I can take it with me wherever I go without having to worry about remembering to take or needing to endlessly check the pattern), and yet somehow continues to be endlessly entertaining. This was all I was planning on doing today before letting myself move on to something else (I usually get bored easily, and so I keep a variety of projects going so I can keep making progress), but I want to keep working on it, so I'll probably get at least one more repeat in today.

Well, now that I've had my fun with revealing the way the pattern is developing and you all can see what's going on (and since allison asked :) ...

The pattern is Kureopatora's Snake, by Kim at String or Nothing. If you've never visited her blog before, I highly recommend checking out her Reference Shelf in the sidebar. She's an amazing source of all kinds of technical details and analysis. Well worth reading on a regular basis.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's beautiful! What kind of yarn is it?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Leisel said...

South West Trading Company's Karaoke in Mermaid Mix.

- Leisel
http://sagebrush.typepad.com/knotagain

7:30 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Thanks for the pattern Leisel! Bad thing is just when I SWORE that I would finish the projects I've started or bought yarn for before starting anything else I may now just have to break that promise! It looks great in Mermaid Mix but since I just knit 12 skeins of that stuff in a Lady Elanor shawl as my Mom's Christmas present I may have to pick one of their other colors! Too cool!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

[Eyes popping] Windswept modular triangles! Beauteous variegated yarn! Oh, I must try it. Thanks for the wip shots and link.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Bobo said...

Woah, gorgeous!! I think I found what I'm going to do with some Lorna's Laces I just bought!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Donyale said...

THAT IS GORGEOUS!

12:15 AM  
Blogger minetto said...

wow!
beautiful work!

You should see my knitting [ah!] it's pretty pathetic, but it's made me able to appreciate talent!

cheers!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Leisel said...

Thank you, ladies, for all the compliments! I'm glad I could share a fun, new pattern with you... I've been dying to try it.

For Minetto...

You can do this pattern. I promise. If you can:

knit and purl

increase by knitting into the front and back of a stitch

and

decrease by doing a slip, slip, knit

then you have all the skills you need to be able to do this pattern!

The only complication beyond that is that instead of strictly kfb, you either knit into the front and purl into the back, or purl into the front and knit into the back.

- Leisel
http://sagebrush.typepad.com/knotagain

7:31 AM  
Blogger Lloer said...

*grin*

I nearly choose that pattern myself but decided to use Kim's Kombu scarf pattern instead!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Lorna's Laces? Bobo's hit it! I've got enough of that in Tuscany to make both me and my Mom a scarf.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Jae said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Donyale said...

Grrrr - I am struggling with those simple instructions at the start! Must conquer it! :)

5:46 AM  
Blogger fibersnob said...

It's stunning, the colours are fantastic. Now I'm thinking how this would look in Silk Garden....

3:17 PM  
Blogger catmum said...

I'm trying to get started with this too, it's gorgeous, but can't seem to make it rib? have frogged the beginning 5 times, and it's turning into moss, not ribs. any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've copied the instructs from the original page, and following them faithfully. I'm sure it's something silly. thanks

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home