Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A centering moment

Hi Everyone.

I just had the perfect scarf exchange moment a couple of nights ago. I was having a really horrible day-- nothing could go right, and absolutely everything was hopeless and meaningless from my point of view-- and then I managed to sit down in the evening and start the scarf for my recipient. The beautiful, rich colors I chose, the feel of the wool and my new bamboo needles just all came together; I got a hang of the pattern really quickly, and I found myself thinking about how happy my scarf buddy will be when she finally sees the scarf that was custom-knit just for her, by me. That really cheered me up, so thank you all for being sort of "there" for me and for each other, even if the identities are sort of a secret.

PS: I'm also trying a pattern that's a little more complicated and extravagant than I usually choose, and I'm getting all these "that's so pretty" and "knit something like that for me!" comments from friends and family-- the same people whom I know secretly dread birthdays and Christmases because they know I always knit something for them. I guess I should take the hint that I can (and should) be more daring with my knitting!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Ahh! I am a sucker for a feel good knit-a-long/knitting exchange story. This is my first exchange and I, too, have been happy with the way it is going. Knitters Rock.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Bettina said...

Sorry to hear you had a lousy day, but I'm glad that the knitting cheered you up.

I know I enjoy everything about this exchange and can't wait for my yarn to arrive to get the same lovely moment of enjoyment when I start on the scarf for my pal.

There is nothing like knitting for other knitters who really know how much thought and effort has gone into the finished work of wearable art one has made.

Take care and hope days like the one you just had will be few and far between in the future.

Bettina

8:13 PM  
Blogger lesley said...

its awesome that you had such a wonderful experience on such a day. i love stories like that!

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home