Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Lovin' the Process

How great to get matched up with two fabulous knitters, both of whom enjoy the same things I enjoy making and wearing--even down to the colors and yarns!

The secret pal I'm making a scarf for has me so excited about working on this project. She's so full of positivity and exhuberance, and each stitch has been satisfying, because I know she's going to appreciate that scarf. It's so much more fun to make something for someone on this list, as opposed to family/friends who aren't knitters, and have no clue as to how much time and effort goes into creating something special.

I have purchased several hanks of different yarns in trying to find the exact one I wanted to work with, and worked my laace pattern in large swatches with each yarn. Amazing how different each yarn looks when knitted up, and how different it looks from when it arrives in a hank!

Because I've never done lacework before, this has been a terrific learning experience for me. I've knitted and frogged with each yarn a few dozen times, until I'm finally at the point where I can now keep count and not frog in frustration because I missed a stitch. Now each stitch on the scarf in the yummy yarn is such a treat. I likely would not have taken the time to practice 30 hours before starting the actual scarf if the scarf was intended for family members, who wouldn't be looking at all the stitches.

I love stretching myself, learning something new, and having the fun of knowing the finished piece will go to someone who will really appreciate the time and effort put into making something especially for her!

What fun this is! I probably won't be finished by Christmas, since I have other obligatory projects I am forced to finish first (it's so hard when all I want to do is work on the lace scarf!), but it will get out on time, and I'm sure enjoying the process of knitting it.

--Debi in Las Vegas

1 Comments:

Blogger maxine said...

Thanks a lot Debi. It hadn't occurred to me that my exchange pal might be poring over every stitch I make.

as a new knitter never having blocked anything, I was having a stroke over that as it was. Now I have to consider critique!

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home