Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I just ordered a button of Margaret Stowe 100% merino lace, to a certain extent because it was on sale at US$12/20g, and 300yds is enough enough for one scarf. Obviously, I have decided to knit lace, so I chose a solid colorway because I think lace comes out nicer that way. I was not ecstatic with the results of the FBS I knitted with variegated yarn ... the lace pattern got lost somewhere in the colours. I am using a Magaret Stowe pattern from my own collection.

Problem is, after hitting the check-out button I went web surfing for other lace yarns ... and I found Jaggerspun Zephyr (8.00/2oz), Misti alpaca lace (5.95/1.75oz ... wow!) and some kid mohair yarns: Filatura (10.00/25g, Madil 13.95/25g, K1C2 10.95/25g), and it's made me wonder whether I have chosen the right yarn.

I almost ordered the yarn from Fiddlesticks because I was getting a shawl pattern, but they are charging US$16.95 for the merino lace and US$12.95 for the Zephyr. Has anyone knitted with any of these yarns?

I still have to find the right yarn for the hat, but I think I have found the pattern.

1 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Zephyr has a lovely sheen due to the silk and the light weight is wonderful too. I have also knit with the MS laceweight merino (in a variegated) it is beautiful. If you like a laceweight yarn with a crisp finish, either of these yarns is great. If you prefer a softer look, the silk/kid mohair blend yarns like Rowan Kidsilk haze are the way to go. They hold the lace patterns well but the halo of the mohair fuzz softens the look. I'm considering making a lacey scarf for my ISE pal too!

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home