Friday, October 21, 2005

Hello everyone

This is the first time I am joining this international scarf exchange so I am rather excited. I like knitting for other people because it let's me try out patterns and styles that I wouldn't necessarily wear myself. I have particpated in the Rowan exchange twice before, and while there were no cost guidelines I did end up spending and receiving about US$20-25, so I think this minimum amount is a good guide. Having all my DH's family on my X'mas gift list, I have had to budget a maximum amount for each, (or we would be living on bread and butter during X'mas!). From a review of my FOs, a perusal of other people's blogs, and goggle, this is what I think could be done (or I have done) for US$25 standard retail price.

1) Flora neckwarmer (aka very short scarf) and a small beret (2" shorter than pattern) using 3 x 50g of DB alpaca silk.

2) Moebius scarf and hat using 2 x US$12.50/50g Knitpicks Far East cashmere. I actually knitted the Moebius scarf using one 2 oz skein of handpainted Makalu cashmere for my MIL, but it cost me US$32 and I think the Knitpicks cashmere is a good substitute (as well as good value for money).

3) Froth scarf using 2 strands and 2 x 25g of KSH. But if one were to use 1 strand for a shorter lacy scarf and 2 strands for a smallish beret/hat, then should be able to knit a set using 2 balls.

4) Multi-directional scarf and diagonal hat set using 3 x 50g of Noro silk garden (200yds for the shorter scarf and 100yds for a one skein Noro hat). I used 300yds balls and knitted the longer scarf.

5) Misty garden lace scarf using 2 x 50g Koigu KPPM with a beret using 50g Knitpicks sock garden/landscape or a felted bucket hat using Cascade 200.

Of course, if one is lucky it is possible to get these yarns for under US$25, but I am assuming that the minimum amount refers to the standard US internet retail price, because not everyone has access to a good LYS offering discounts or the patience to trawl ebay! With the exception of Flora (which I am keeping because the yarn is a gift from my secret pal 3), I knitted the rest as gifts. So personally I would be delighted to be assigned to a Canadian or US knitter with easy access to Koigu KPPM, my favourite yarn.

These are higher end yarns and the finished items are on the smallish side. If one wanted a longer scarf like the reversible cable scarf from Scarf Style, which requires 8 balls of worsted yarn, then one would have to go down in quality, e.g. US$2.50/50g. I find that my giftees do appreciate these yarns, and of course, smaller items mean lower shipping costs, and quicker knitting ... an important point when you have to knit 15 scarves!

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home